In my Italian mind, Lasagna is much more than just food is somehow a religious thing. When I started my Keto Low Carb journey, I thought I couldn’t eat all my beloved Italian food included Lasagna ( which I love). After a few years, I have found several Keto-friendly Lasagna variations, and I can say that all of them are truly tasty and, without a doubt, on the same level of typical Lasagna.
Zucchini helped me a lot and became my favorite ingredient to create a super tasty keto lasagna!
Zucchini is a truly nutrient food, and if you do some research, you will immediately notice it has quite an impressive number of nutritional factors. High levels of potassium, B-vitamins, dietary fiber, and antioxidants, all of which offer considerable benefits to our overall health.
If you eat Zucchini regularly instead of unhealthy processed carbohydrates (such as pasta), it will even help regulate your blood sugar levels. And eating Zucchini a few times per week will surely help you to lose weight due to their low glycemic index and calories ( after all they still count )
As I said, Zucchini is very low in calories but will give you that feeling of being full and so it is a great way to satisfy your appetites without eating a lot of empty calories or even worst a lot of carbs and sugars!
My secret weapon to make the ultimate Keto Lasagna is Mushrooms! Mushrooms can make Lasagna tasty, and for all of my Vegan readers, it substitutes meat better you can even imagine!
Keto Zucchini Mushroom Lasagna Ingredients:
Here is the Keto Lasagna Recipe :
Keto Zucchini Mushroom Lasagna
- 4 large zucchini thinly sliced lengthwise I used a mandoline
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for brushing + 1 additional Tablespoon for sautéing
- 1 small sweet yellow onion finely diced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms chopped well
- 1 tsp dry Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces high quality marinara sauce
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup organic ricotta
- 1 free range egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- a handful or fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees f. and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Lay out the zucchini strips on a large cutting board, lightly sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and very lightly brush with 1 Tablespoon of oil.
- Bake strips in your preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly tender and easy to roll. Allow them to cool until ready to handle.
- Meanwhile, add remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add in the onions, mushrooms, Italian seasonings and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 of the marinara sauce and simmer your mushroom sauce for about 4 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- In a medium bowl add ricotta, parmesan cheese, the egg and a tiny pinch of sea salt + pepper, and fresh chopped parsley. Stir well to combine everything.
- Use a 9×13″ casserole dish or an ovenproof cast iron skillet and spread remaining marinara sauce on the bottom.
- To assemble the zucchini rolls, lay out one zucchini slice on a cutting board. Spread about 2 spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture over the top, then a spoonful of mushroom sauce mix.
- Carefully roll up each zucchini after filling, and place in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Pour any remaining mushroom marinara sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and bake for about 15-20 minutes in your preheated oven, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately alongside a nice fresh salad.
I will post a Recipe soon for a Keto Marinara Sauce, but remember: Italian Marinara Sauce is naturally Keto already.